Friday 4 May 2012

Android Market website displaying the wrong language? You’re not alone.




Willkommen, ich bin Andrew und ich sprechen nicht die Sprache, dass dieser Satz geschrieben wurde in.
Don’t understand that first paragraph? Well, that might not be the first time that you’ve been unexpectedly greeted to text from a language that you do not know.
A strange occurrence at market.android.com is causing some users to suddenly see instructions and prompts in a language other than their native tongue. I experienced this early Saturday morning when the Market suddenly decided that I speak Portuguese. Surprisingly, a Portuguese native speaker reported on our Google+ page that his market is suddenly in English instead for some reason. I’ve since seen cases of lingual mismatches in German, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese, and Spanish on reddit and Twitter.
Before I get to why I think this is happening, know that there’s a fix that might work for you. Some people report it working but then reverting to another language upon their next visit:
  1. Go to market.android.com
  2. Scroll to the bottom of the page
  3. Click the “Choose a language” drop down menu and select your native tongue
As for why this is happening, I’m not sure. I’m guessing that it might have something to do with the Android developer console offering the ability to filter reviews according to language. I’m not sure when this issue first appeared, but this tweet from @ruxeg on January 12 is the first tweet I’ve seen. Maybe this is coming to end users and someone crossed a few wires to cause things to go awry.
Either way, you know how to fix the problem, temporarily at least, should it happen to you.

No comments:

OhJobs : Info Kerja Anda ”infotech@fuzore”